London Neurologist Professor Michael Hanna is a highly experienced Senior Consultant Neurologist who specialises in the diagnosis, treatment, and care of patients with various neurological conditions. Based at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery (NHNN), Queen Square Neurology, London, he provides comprehensive services to patients who are suffering from conditions that affect the brain, spinal cord, peripheral nervous system, and muscles.
With over 25 years of clinical experience, Professor Hanna has personally assessed over 30,000 patients, earning him a reputation as an expert in his field. His practice offers a range of services, including a general neurology service for those experiencing common neurological symptoms such as headaches, blackouts, and strokes. In addition, he has an international reputation in diagnosing and treating patients with muscle weakness caused by neuromuscular diseases including:
London Neurologist Professor Hanna’s practice also includes general neurology care in outpatient clinics, as well as acute neurology inpatient care and neuro-rehabilitation clinical care. He is an internationally recognised neurological expert in muscle wasting neurological conditions and is considered a leading authority on the subject.
Research and Publications:
In addition to his clinical work at NHNN, Professor Hanna holds a position as a Professor of Clinical Neurology at the University College London Institute of Neurology. As a leading expert in his field, he is dedicated to advancing our understanding of neurological conditions and developing innovative treatments.
Professor Hanna has received numerous research awards and grants, including prestigious funding from the Wellcome Trust and the Medical Research Council. Through these efforts, he has raised over £21m in funding to support vital research projects to find treatments and a cure for neurological conditions.
He has published over 400 research articles in learned journals and book chapters, sharing his expertise and research with the medical community worldwide.
Commitment to Excellence
To ensure he provides a high-quality service to his patients, Professor Hanna participates in periodic 360 feedback sessions to understand where improvements can be made. Through these sessions, he can identify areas where he can improve his practice and work towards providing the best care possible for his patients.
Taking this commitment to excellence even further, Professor Hanna actively implements the feedback from these sessions and incorporates the latest advancements in medical research and technologies into his practice.
A neurologist is a doctor who specialises in treating conditions of the nervous system, including the brain, nerves, and spinal cord. Conditions that impact these areas of the body can cause pain, muscle weakness, memory loss, speech difficulties along with other symptoms.
Symptoms that may cause you to be referred to a neurologist include:
• Chronic headaches or migraines: If you experience frequent or severe headaches or migraines that affect your daily life, a neurologist can help diagnose the underlying cause and develop a personalised treatment plan to manage your symptoms effectively.
• Memory problems: Memory impairments can be concerning and may indicate an underlying neurological condition. A neurologist specialises in evaluating memory difficulties, determining the cause, and recommending appropriate interventions or treatments.
• Balance issues or vertigo: If you frequently experience dizziness, imbalance, or vertigo (a spinning sensation), it is essential to consult with a neurologist. They can assess your balance and vestibular function to identify any underlying neurological disorders causing these symptoms.
• Seizures: Seizures are abnormal electrical activities in the brain that can manifest as convulsions, staring spells, or temporary loss of consciousness. A neurologist specialises in diagnosing and managing seizures, determining the type and cause, and developing an appropriate treatment plan to help control the seizures.
• Numbness: Numbness or tingling sensations in different parts of the body can be indicative of nerve damage or dysfunction. A neurologist can conduct thorough evaluations to identify the source of the numbness and recommend appropriate treatments to alleviate your symptoms.
• Muscle Weakness: Muscle weakness can stem from various underlying neurological conditions and requires the expertise of a neurologist for accurate diagnosis and management. They can perform comprehensive evaluations to identify the cause of muscle weakness, develop tailored treatment plans, and coordinate necessary therapies or interventions.
• Blackouts: If you experience episodes of a sudden loss of consciousness, also known as blackouts, it is crucial to consult a neurologist. They can evaluate your symptoms, conduct diagnostic tests, and determine the underlying cause to recommend appropriate management strategies.
• Unexplained pain: Unexplained or chronic pain that does not have an identifiable cause may be a symptom of an underlying neurological condition. A neurologist can assess your pain, conduct diagnostic tests, and offer personalised treatment options to address the underlying cause and alleviate your discomfort.
During your consultation, the neurologist will conduct a full neurological assessment, in order to identify the cause of the symptoms. Once a diagnosis has been made, your neurologist will create a treatment plan, whether the issue is a common or more complex neurological condition.
Professor Michael Hanna is a celebrated neurologist with an exceptional educational background. He completed his undergraduate training in Medical Biochemistry and Medicine at Manchester University, graduating with honours in 1988.
He then pursued postgraduate medical and neurological training in reputable institutions such as Newcastle, John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford, and the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery at Queen Square, London. Professor Hanna further honed his expertise as an MRC Clinical training fellow at UCL Queen Square Institute of Neurology.
Consultations with London Neurologist Dr Hanna, Neurologist, can be arranged via the NHS or privately. If you would like to arrange a consultation, please get in touch.